Sunday, March 12, 2006

Saguijo

I went to Saguijo last night with some of my friends (Jm, Martin and Xtiane). Kaya di ako nakasama kina Tay manood ng Fearless. Haha. Besides, I already watched the flick, and since I can safely assume that they watched it too, I can go ahead and say that Jet Li kicks the bucket (sobra cliché pa, how do you kill mega kung-fu man? Poison of course! Man don’t they ever learn?).

Anyhoo back to Saguijo, to those who don’t know what the heck Saguijo is, it’s this old decrepit building (I think house is a better word) hidden amongst the hustle and bustle of the Makati Business District where OPM bands play their music. Is it me or do OPM bands tend to congregate in places that look like God forsaken hell holes? Why can’t they play in snazzier places (but if they did, malamang mas mahal ung entrance fee, so…) like the Manila Hotel, or Edsa Shang (imagine, orange and lemons kicking it, in Edsa Shang… Nyahahahaha!)?

There where a lot of bands that night that I didn’t even know existed, but there where a couple that I at least heard about, namely; Urbandub, Chicosci and Stonefree. I should probably mention that though I have heard of Urbandub and Chicosci, I couldn’t tell you what songs they play and how they look like. That’s why when the opening band was setting up, I turned to Martin and asked him in all seriousness;

“Sikat ba yan?”

He thought that nangagago lang ako so naki ride naman sha; “Oo, sikat yan!” It seems that Saguijo wanted to start things off big, ‘cause the band I was asking about was Urbandub. Haha! Kakahiya naman ako, sana wala ibang nakarinig sa akin. So it went like this, when a new band would start setting up, itatanong ko lagi “sikat bay yan?” Eventually na realize din ni Martin na di ako nangagago hahahaha!!

Aside from that, another embarrassing thing happened to me while I was there ‘cause of my big mouth. Jm met some of his friends there, and he introduced us to this girl (who was kinda cute). Anyway, I heard that a band was going to play called “Narda”. I found this funny so I started blurting out;

“Narda?! Diba Kamikaze un!? Request tayo sa Narda na kumanta ng Narda! Wahahaha!!!”

Little did I know that the frontman of Narda was a frontwoman; the girl who Jm introduced to us, who was in close proximity to me when I was flapping my gums and making a fool of myself. Shit. Stupid Jm... should have said something dammit. After they played, the frontwoman came up to Jm and said that they were going already. Before she left she said to us:

“Guys, thanks for coming, kahit alam ko naman na hindi kami ang pinunta nyo dito…”

I hope she didn’t say this because she overheard my stupid comments. Buti nalng nakainom nako, may palusot ako as to why I was bright red. XD

After a few more bands, Chicosci hit the stage. If I could think of one word to describe them, it would be:

Angas

Pota, lupit pala ng band na to! And to think Ateneo band pala sila dati and ngayon ko lang sila narinig. Angas nung frontman! He really reminded me of those Japanese rockstars I see on animax. It was his look (anime hair, eye shadow, and he was wearing this glove-like-thing that stretched to his fore arm), muka talaga hapon. He reminded me of the frontman ng larc en ciel (Japanese band):

Image hosting by Photobucket

I wasn’t going to be surprised kung tumugtog bigla ung guitar riff ng Driver’s High and kinanta nya bigla ung GTO theme song. Haha! Anyways, they did something better, nag cover sila ng OPM song:

Lagi nalang umuulan
Parang wala katapusan
Jan jan jan jan.....
Blah Blah Blah

…….

La la la la la la laaaaaaahhh!!!
Tuwing Umuulaaaaan!!!

Bwahahahaha!!! Eto talaga ung nag steal ng show for me!! Chicoshe Rox!!! Woooo Hoooo!!!! Hindi na Sponge Cola fave Ateneo band ko! Bwahahahaha!!!

After a couple of bands, tumugtog narin ung stonefree, ung pinakahihintay ng stonefuh-reak ng group namin (haha, cno kaya un!? Hmmm… :D). I always thought that stonefree performed well live. Pero n’ labo, iniba iba nila ung songs na tinugtog nila, they changed the beat, tune and even the lyrics. They even inserted some verses from the song "Time after time" ("if you fall I will catch you... blah blah, time after time") It was like Stonefree: The Remix. In my opinion, the only musicians who have the license to remix their own songs are the ones who really make it big. This begs the question:

“Sikat ba yan?”

Haha!

9 comments:

jMe said...

si katwo (sp) ba yung vocalist ng narda? wahahaha Ü

anyway chicosci... cute dati si miggy, yung vocalist. inaabangan pa namin dati yun dumaan sa sec e. skwater.

napadala ko na nga pala yung pics sa email mo mike.

LIBRE NAMAN JAN! GAGRADUATE NA KAYO A!

Anonymous said...

@jme
pota, nakuha ko ung pics mo... low quality XD... mahirap mag photoshop ng low quality pics mo... nakita mo ung sa side bar ko? baka ganun lng ang labas nung sayo...

@kabo
oo lam ko kung ung cnabi mo... di ko lang binanggit para di mashado obvious na pinakikinggan ko ung band! haha (kahit di ko naiintindihan ung lyrics)

Anonymous said...

for Kabo
-lam ko na Hyde ung panagalan nung guy. didn't know that he;s 35-40 though... Okay!? Satisfied?!

Wasted daw amp! :D

Anonymous said...

err...? what?

kung tinutukoy mo ung YM msg ko, nde nmn tungkol dito ung message na un eh.

Tsaka l'arc-en-ciel is an overrated band. Meron silang Kenshin na OP songs ata.

Anonymous said...

oh...

my bad XD

Martin said...

Chicosci = Pinoy My Chemical Romance

Hahaha. They're gonna murder me for saying that. Pero totoo eh. =P

Alam ko Urbandub ang pinunta ko don pero pinaka-nagustuhan ko ngang performance yung sa Chicosci. Tagal ko na di naririnig ang Paris, tapos live pa. Aahh! Plus the fact that they were constantly making fun of Sandwich, Cambio, and Cueshe. Bad boys!

Si Xtiane hindi naenjoy ang Stonefree kase may dumating! Hahahaha! Hindi tuloy makatili sa boses ni Miromantiko! =D

Anonymous said...

@martin
hehehe... onga. pero un lang ba ung reason? i distinctly recall u making hand gestures regarding a particular hottie na nanood din nung stonefree gig. baka may kinalaman din un? haha :D

xtiane said...

gagu! urbandub pinunta ko dun!

Anonymous said...

sabi mo e :D