Monday, August 21, 2006

Long Weekend

Thank you Ninoy Aquino! Because of your sacrifice more than a decade ago, I, Mike the invincible man, get a reprieve from work today. As corrupt, poor, stagnant and virtually hopeless our country is today, your actions have at least brought a little joy into my life. In order to show my appreciation, I say “Screw You!” to those who say Ninoy was a communist.

Anyhow, this post is about how I spent my long weekend, mainly watching DVDs, so, this post is actually about the DVDs I watched and not about me, but its technically about me because a was the one doing the watching, ‘cause watching DVDs is what I did during the long weekend and since this post is entitled the Long Weekend, it is also about watching DVDs, which is what I did, so this post is also about what i did because I am MOOOOOJOOO JOJO!!!

Err…

Okay, now that I got that out of my system, I met some of my batch mates from college in metrowalk for a semi batch reunion sort of thing. We had dinner, a few drinks and we talked about stuff (Lui Agustin got married!! Whoa!!!). I had a blast although marami umalis ng maaga (can franz and avic, dulce and grace). Saka si jme hindi sumipot, inuna ung ADTX bago ung kanyang batch mates (sha pa namn isa sa nagyayaya)… tsk tsk.

Since I got home at around 1:30 in the morning, I woke up at around 1ish in the afternoon. I actually had my weekend planned, i ma marathon ko dapat ung season 1 ng Lost, which I borrowed from my officemate especially for the weekend. Well, I didn’t watch lost, instead I watched a couple of japanovellas (uhm, this word doesn’t sound right, so I’ll just use jap TV shows instead); Densha Otoko (Train Man) and Hana Yori Dango (Boys over flowers).

Densha Otoko

The show, is about an otaku (basically a Japanese male who loves anime, comics, video games and all related merchandise to the EXTREME)/loser who saves a beautiful girl from a drunk guy on a train. He of course falls for the girl but he has no idea whatsoever how to go about wooing said girl, he posts his story on an internet message board where various eccentric individuals help him in his task of improving his image and getting his love interest.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

In most underdog love stories, the guy is a regular joe and the girl is a figurative goddess, in this series the guy isn’t even a regular joe, he’s total loser (the girl is still a goddess). Because of that, you can’t help getting behind him (everyone loves the underdog) in his quest to get a girl that is seemingly beyond his reach. This is where the show gets its good moments. But sometimes, the story gets so dragging (there are lot of scenes were they just show the guy talking to various people in the internet), you just want to kick his damn ass.

All in all, the show is okay. I wouldn’t recommend it to just anyone though. You should have at least a “little otaku in you” to appreciate it (pero di namn to the point na katulad nung guys depicted sa series, shit creepy sila).

Hana Yori Dango

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Hana Yori Dango is based on a Japanese manga with the same name. Its about a poor girl who studies in a school for the extremely rich were she meets 4 guys, two of which she falls in loves with. Sounds familiar? Well it damn should. The manga Hana Yori Dango is also the basis for another show; Meteor Garden (if you haven’t at least heard of this show, you’re probably a hermit or something).

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I can’t compare the shows ‘cause I never really got to watch Meteor Garden in full. I actually saw the first few episodes (during one of my summer breaks when it first aired), but I had to stop ‘cause I had summer classes (they showed it early afternoon I think). Then the show got sooooooo huge that even though they moved up the time slot, I didn’t bother watching ‘cause everyone was watching it already (I think I have masa-phobia). But even though I barely saw it, I know its basic story (You can’t help it, its like the Sixth Sense, even though you didn’t see the movie, the news that Bruce Willis was a ghost eventually reaches you), and I can say that its similar to Hana Yori Dango’s (except for the ending).

So which one is better? Uhm… I dunno. But if I had to pick I’d go for Hana Yori Dango, because Makino Tsukushi, the show’s Shan Cai (I don’t know the spelling, sorry kabo), is waaaaaaaayyyyyyy hotter than her meteor garden counterpart. She has the whole Japanese school girl thing going for her.

I recommend this show to fans of Meteor Garden. I’d love to hear their opinions, arguments or rants as to which show is actually superior.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hana Yori Dango is an awesome awesome JDorama and to have it be related to the abortion that is the Meteor Garden Taiwan Drama is disgusting. For one thing, in the Japanese version, the actors could actually act (!!!) no shit.

Inoue Mao (the girl playing Makino Tsukushi) is really cute. And I like the fact that they're actually in HIGH SCHOOL in HYD as opposed to the college setting of Meteor Garden.

Did you really watch 11 eps of Densha Otoko and 9 eps of Hana Yori Dango in one weekend? You're crazy, dude.

I thought Densha Otoko was too overhyped. It basically insults the entire otaku-fanboy world but it got raves from the fanboys themselves. Odd. The main character dude was too much of a stuttering wuss for my taste and the story was unbelievable. In a bad way.

If you're getting into Jdorama, watch Nobuto wo Produce next. Great show. Cute pa ung bida. Ung sister ni Densha Otoko.

Anonymous said...

btw, the endings were similar. HYD Jdorama just condensed the entire first half of the series into 9 eps of a 1 hour show whilst Meteor Garden had something like 30 eps of a 1.5 hour show to do it.

Anonymous said...

onga medyo olats ung densha otoko. pero sobra hot nung mga girls (ung girl nung bida, ung sister nung bida saka ung girl na may darth vader music). haha.

wow... kala ko pa namn kakampi ka sa meteor garden. support ur brothers and sisters from taiwan! harharhar.

and yes, minarathon ko ung two shows na un.

Anonymous said...

may pahabol din ako.

kng japanese shows lng. pinaka nagustuhan ko GTO. un astig.

Anonymous said...

PUTEK! KINASAL NA SI LA!!!!????!!!!!

Anonymous said...

@whoever u r

yep. kasal na. who would've thunk it! :O haha