Friday, December 02, 2005

Harry Potter: The Cast that Should have Been

I watched the latest Harry Potter movie a while back (actually nung 1st day ng showing nya. Excited ako eh XD) and like the rest of my friends, I found the movie quite good. I was actually surprised that I enjoyed the movie. Lets face it, the last three movies were Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Crap, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Crap and Harry Potter and the Crap of Azkaban. I was expecting the 4th one to be Harry Potter and the Goblet of Crap. Good thing I was wrong.

Although I enjoyed the movie, I still have some beef with it, and no it’s not the fact that the main characters can’t act for shit, I accepted that horrid truth years ago. My beef is about some of their casting choices for some of the characters. For me, a good casting job for a movie based on a book is simply this; if the actor in the movie matches how I imagined the character would look like while reading the book, then the casting was great. Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson (tama ba?), terrible thespians they may be, but they match the characters in the book perfectly (ok, so Hermione is way prettier in the moives, I don’t mind, and I bet most of the viewers don’t mind either). The movie versions of snape, mcgonagall, draco and lucius malfoy were also great (plus these guys were WAY better actors).

But some actors in the movie didn’t quite do it for me. So its time for another casting call. Here are the characters I didn’t like in the movies and the actor/actress I think should have played him/her.

Albus Dumbledore
Lets face it. The Dumbledore in the movies is nothing like the Dumbledore in the books. He has none of the humor Dumbledore should have. The Dumbledore in the books often times acts like a senile old fool (of course he gets serious too when necessary, this change in temperament I think is what makes him cool). So I think he should be played by this guy:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The guy who played “Grandpa” in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (di ko alam pangalan nya eh).

Sirius Black
I actually thought casting Gary Oldman was great… until I saw his performance in the movie. He didn’t exude any Sirius Black qualities very well; mystery, insanity, etc. He wasn’t “dark” enough. I think Stewart Townsend will do better (Lestat from queen of the damned and Dorian Gray from LXG). The guy who plays scare crow in batman begins would be a good choice too.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Oh yeah… something should have be done about Sirius’ animagi form… the black mongrel was just a joke.

Mad Eye Moody
Moody in the movie was a damn fat ass! Jeremy Irons would have been better. ‘nuff said.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Cho Chang
Cho Chang in the Goblet of Fire movie was er… not pretty enough for me. Actually she wasn’t pretty at all. Harry Potter having a crush on her was thus hard to swallow. Like the rampant rumors before, they should have given the part to Heart Evangelista. She’s pretty enough, and since she doesn’t have much speaking lines, the fact that Heart can’t act won’t be a problem.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Fleur
Fleur in the movie was cute. But Fleur is supposed to be super mega beautiful. The guys behind the movie should have just randomly opened a Victoria’s Secret catalogue and pointed. Chances are the finger would have landed on some hot 15 year old European girl born to play the part of Fleur.

Ginny Weasly
I have no idea who should play Ginny Weasly, I just know it shouldn’t be the girl who is currently playing her (YUCK!!!). I can’t imagine her playing the Ginny in the 5th and Sixth installments of the Potter series where she gets more exposure and gets romantically linked to harry potter. They should find a replacement and fast dammit!!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

okay, firstly Heart would be a horrible horrible chance. Nevermind that she can't and that the rumors were patently false. It would have never happened for the following reasons:
1.) She's not British
2.) She's not British
3.) See 1 and 2

secondly, I didn't have a problem with Fleur. ok nmn sya eh. besides, victoria's secret models are 20-something (at least i think they are). Fleur is 17.

cedric diggory wasn't cool enough. and they made krum out to be some muscle bound moron.

I agree with everyone else except maybe add Lupin. He was MUCH MUCH cooler in the book.

ung si ginny, naasar na nga sa akin kapatid ko eh. reklamo ako nang reklamo habang nanunood kami. yeck.

sweetness said...

well, you weren't the only one who was excited on the first day. take me, jme, tens and neil for example. hehe... at sabi nga ni neil, LINDSAY LOHAN for ginny weasley, she can very well pull the british accent as seen from her parent trap act.

as for cho chang, the actress (katie leung?) turned up to be a 'rachelle ann go' lookalike, as repeatedly mentioned by the person behind us in the theater, sooo gaaayyy!!! and so jologs, haha! in fairness, medyo hawig nga, haha! :D yea, heart is a fair, though somewhat better choice, cho chang's oh-so-short dialogue would be perhaps enough for heart to practice on and add some british flavor to it.

ian mckellen would also be nice for dumbledore, though it would probably be too risky since he is so much known as gandalf from lotr.

Anonymous said...

@ kabo
onga no, forgot about Lupin. yeah they should do something about him too. who they should get, i dunno... I never got a clear picture of how lupin should look like. probably 'cause i never really liked him.

Yup, Krum sucked! always thought he was supposed to be a tall longhaired skinny guy with nose like a birds beak... don't know who should play him either.

I thought diggory was ok though... kuha nya ung pagka annoying pretty boy attitude.

@sweet
Actually i DID think of Lindsay Lohan... for a split second. Then I remembered Ginny is supposed to be pretty and headstrong, not slutty and pumped full of silicon XD... plus, Lindsay Lohan's too old.

bogart said...

Hot si hermione.. hot hot hot hot!!!

Fred said...

Heart all the way!!!! One love! XD

Anonymous said...

@ tay

airhead namn daw c heart eh....
sabi ni "halimaw"!

hahahahaha!!!!!

Anonymous said...

someday, she'll run for president and WIN.

vice president natin nun si iya. XD